Sunday, December 21, 2014

p-e-r-e-g-r-i-n-a-t-i-o-n, Pt. 1

With the burgeoning student debt and rising unemployment rates among recent graduates, Some millennials are facing a hard time where previous generations had a brighter outlook. On top of it all, a decrease in physical and emotional well-being has been documented among indebted Millenials. There is decreasing confidence in college career-centers as avenues for job placement, and college graduates are recognizing the need to compensate for skills they did not hone in their undergraduate years. Initiatives to make instructional material accessible to the public such as MIT OpenCourseWare and the edX platform have lessened incentives to attend college solely for educational purposes albeit increasing the probability that some students will achieve more than previously possible. For undergraduate students disillusioned by the student debt crisis and an unpredictable job market, entrepreneurship during college can provide viable alternatives to conventional career paths due to trends in the academic landscape favoring students with the ability to capitalize on its abundance of resources.

“Oh God, Mr Titus Hoyt, where you learn all these big words and them? You sure you spelling them right?”

Funny enough, I wrote that stuff for a college paper of all things. What I really wanted to say in the paper was that some students are better off going the entrepreneurial route, foregoing college altogether. The question you must be asking is, what could possibly give a student the audacity to write a college paper about the failure of college. It makes sense if you read "abundance of resources" as bread and circuses.

I first recognized this flaw before deciding on any schools. I recall overhearing my mom say to a friend on the phone with a sigh, "I don't think he wants to go to college." I guess the sentiments I was expressing at the time were like the overall sentiment Tyler was describing in that one Fight Club scene:

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables... We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

Maybe 16 year old me wasn't exactly "pissed off", but the fact I was slowly learning was that this magical place called college I had heard about all these years was just not going to give me the tools to succeed in the job market of the 21st century. Of course, it is debatable whether one should place emphasis on employment but that's for another post.

After getting my acceptance letters, I neglected my misgivings. I was going to be a Civil Engineering major. That was recession proof guaranteed, right? A Real Degree, they say. It turned out that I wouldn't be a guinea pig for the engineering degree experiment after all, since the curriculum proved to be an intellectual space in which the uninitiated flail around hopelessly trying to figure things out. Talk about filtering classes. I had been too late to the party. No amount of Amazon Prime documentaries or moments of awe in New York City or Dubai could inspire me to like engineering, at least the way my curriculum worked. This wasn't for me, it was tailored to those who knew they would be engineers for years prior to college, I thought. Couple that with the stereotype that engineers have uni-dimensional personalities and you get a whole heap of turn off. (Obviously, engineering is an occupation which is neither inherently cool nor inherently drab. It all depends on what you personally find interesting. I still think that through learning about a subject from a non-academic context first can help in developing appreciation, but more on that in another post.)

Cue Macroeconomics. I was always interested in economics, but could never fancy myself an economics scholar nor economic analyst. But oh did I enjoy studying economics, because when it comes to higher education economists will tell it to you straight, without resorting to some transcendental woo behind a college degree. Not many others would offer information that potentially jeopardizes their own industry or at least the positions their academic peers enjoy.

More on the economics of higher education and what I actually learned at college, in part 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment